As we say goodbye to another year and prepare to usher in a new one...I always wonder why we choose January 1st to make resolutions to change our lives. If our lives are crap at the beginning of the year do we really have to wait until December 31 to decide to make changes? How depressing and pathetic! We have 365 days to make our lives whatever we want them to be. Granted, there are many things beyond our control...but there are soooo many things that we have absolute and complete control over that we can decide to change anytime we want.
Wikipedia states that a New Year's Resolution is "a commitment that an individual makes to a personal goal, project, or the reforming of a habit. This lifestyle change is generally interpreted as advantageous. The name comes from the fact that these commitments normally go into effect on New Year's Day. Some examples include resolutions to donate to the poor more often, to become more assertive, or to become more environmentally responsible." It goes on to list the most common resolutions people make as well as the average success rates. I personally feel that you are setting up the brand spanking New Year to start out with a BANG and quickly deteriorate into a disheartening FIZZLE. And as a result of this? The rest of your year is crap because you failed at least one or more of your resolutions and you again wait for December 31st to "start over" with a clean slate. Thus the sad, depressing cycle begins again....sigh.
I don't remember exactly when I stopped making "New Year's Resolutions" but I honestly don't have any horrible, disgusting habits that I need to save myself (or the world) from like smoking, drinking, drug use, etc. My life is pathetically boring and anti-climatic to some but it is fine for me. I am content to live out my days mindlessly going to work and then coming home to my family....THAT is what makes me happy...MY FAMILY! Do I love my job? Not particularily. Do I need to make some grand New Year's gesture to change my employer? NO. I just need to decide when enough is enough and move on to something else. I've done it before and I will do it again I'm sure....no resolutions needed...just the proverbial "straw and camel" will do. In the mean time that job provides me with what I need to help my husband provide for our family and make them happy...and that makes me happy :)
I recently told someone that they should think of making "life changes" instead of "resolutions" and they were totally against that. Apparently the term "life changes" insinuates that we are unhappy with our lives and want to change EVERYTHING. Not what I meant at all.
So I guess the politically correct term will remain "New Year's Resolutions" and of course, in my usual style, I will refuse to follow the masses and just enjoy my time with my family tonight....saying GOODBYE to 2010 and HELLO to 2011 and all that it has in store for me :)
Stay safe and enjoy all of your celebrations!
No comments:
Post a Comment